Monday, October 6, 2008

October 2008 - Words

Hello, fellow Barnabi (Is that Barnabas pluraled?)

This month, God has layed on my heart to focus on the power of our words, how simple they are, and how easily they can come crashing down around us.

In Ephesians, Paul writes:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Ephesians 4:29

Let no unwholesome talk come out of our mouths. What constitutes unwholesome talk?

Let's see...foul language? I would say yes. Sarcasm? Definitely. Gossip? Oh, yeah.

Am I guilty of any of this? Of course! We all are! And, as much as I hate to admit it in public, I've been known to fire off a curse word as fast as lightening when I get heated up about something. I hate that I do it. I hate that is it still second nature to me. But, I pray about it and with the help of the Holy Spirit, a listening heart, and a husband who is my accountability partner, I now hear "stop cussing" usually before it erupts from my mouth. and, when I say erupt, I mean erupt.

You may be wondering why I am telling you this.

Because, I am not special. I am not perfect. Yet I am still a child of God.

And He loves me in spite of how "human" I can be. In spite of my past. In spite of how I used to live and breathe. But, now, as a Christ follower, I follow Jesus. And, you can, too.

This month, I'll write about our words, our goofs and how wonderful our Father in Heaven truly is. And, I'll be honest about it. I didn't find Jesus at age three. I found him 25 years later after a lot of junk. Plain ol' junk. But, I know how it is without Him. And, I'll never go back.

God is faithful and true and HE LOVES US. Believe that. He loves us no matter how we act or what we've done. Invite Him into your heart and allow Him to do His work inside you. I am so blessed that I did. I'll share my stories with you soon.

Have a blessed and joy-filled week. Until I write again...

Dawn
God's Cheerleader



No comments: